Thursday, October 17, 2013

TOMORROW AND TOMORROW

We are classically conflicted. Bummed by the wretched lodgings, enchanted by the beauty of the Cape. Itchy to be back in familiar -- comfortable -- surroundings. But glad to be away from the daily dilly dally. It may be a not-exactly-perfect vacation, but it is a vacation. We won't get another for a year or more. Not to mention there's some seriously rough weather ahead. High seas and gale force winds on the horizon.



I tend to think that what's happening to me is about me, but then I stop and think and realize what happens to me also happens to Garry. And, to some degree, happens to my family and friends. We are so interconnected. So dependent on each other. Our lives are not lived independently. We are not islands, not even peninsulas.

No Man Is An Island

No man is an island,
Entire of itself,
Every man is a piece of the continent,
A part of the main.
If a clod be washed away by the sea,
Europe is the less.
As well as if a promontory were.
As well as if a manor of thy friend's
Or of thine own were:
Any man's death diminishes me,
Because I am involved in mankind,
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; 
It tolls for thee. 

-- John Donne

It is, to put it in the modern fashion, complicated. Very complicated.

Fortunately, some things are simple. You just sit there and wait until whatever is wrong sets itself right. Or not. Because you can't do anything about it anyway. Helplessness is the ultimate simplicity.

As an example, my computer just crashed. Nothing small. Blue to black screen to CHKSCRN where it announced my registry and file system were experiencing Problems. Not something one wants to see on the monitor. It suggested I wait while it checked itself for errors. Like I'm going to argue with it.

It proceeded to check itself for errors. Find errors in the file system, registry, disconnected packets? Orphaned data? Then it said it was putting itself together properly (did I detect a note of reproach? Is this my fault? Have I been a bad computer mommy?)

It repaired itself, announced "I am all better now. Please wait while I reboot."

Bing, Bong. Reboot.

"Hello, I'm your laptop. All better now. Please go right ahead with whatever you were doing" -- which is this thing I'm writing.

Effectively, my computer just had a stroke. It took itself to the hospital, performed surgery -- on itself. It healed, and went back to work. Who says Windows 7 isn't cool?



I still don't know what we are going to do tomorrow. I think we'll explore. Maybe we'll find someplace we've never seen or perfect dunes. With just a hint of giant sandworm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whatever you do tomorrow, I hope you have a great time of it. :) I love For Whom the Bell Tolls... it's one of my favorites. :)

Teepee12 said...

Thanks. It seems to be a nice day. A little cloudy. Maybe we will find a bit of beauty somewhere that's not full of people and take a few pictures. You take care of you, too.

Post a Comment