Saturday, October 26, 2013

CELEBRATING EVERYTHING




It's that time of year again, when people of good will get all bent out of shape because we don't celebrate the same holidays. It's not even Halloween and the posts are up on Facebook proclaiming "Merry Christmas" is the only "right" way to greet people. "Happy Holidays" is profane. If ever there was a moronic argument explicitly designed to ruin the season, this is it.

In my extremely humble opinion, Happy Holidays may be a trifle bland, but hardly profane. It is, however, more inclusive than Merry Christmas because there are a lot of holidays bundled into this short season. Whatever you say in greeting, it's fine with me. It's the thought that counts.



Why in the world does it matter to you whether or not I follow the same customs as you? If you celebrate Christmas, I'm glad for you. I rejoice with you. Deck the halls. Decorate trees. String lights. Dress up as Santa. Put a manger and a plastic baby Jesus in your front yard. I'll come to your party and I'll take pictures too. I'm not a Christian, don't want to be Christian but that doesn't mean I'm against whatever you believe.



I've got an offer for all of you. If you are willing to celebrate my holidays, I'll celebrate yours. Wait a minute. I've got an even better deal for you. Let's celebrate all the holidays together. I want Samhain, Yule, Hanukkah, Passover, Sukkot, Epiphany, Christmas. Forgive me for not being familiar with all the religious calendars, but feel free to add everything I've left out. All prayers are good prayers; all holidays are good holidays.

I think every single person of every faith -- or no faith -- is entitled to celebrate (or not celebrate) the season however they want. You should honor that. Stop prating how others are disrespecting your faith while you trample roughshod over theirs.



A lot of Christians are an embarrassment to Jesus, who was a proper Rabbi and a good Jew.

I want to celebrate the Winter Solstice and the Vernal Equinox. I want celebrations for everyone and everything. We don't need more acrimony. Let's have more parties, more festivals. More happiness.

Be of good cheer. Holidays are coming. I don't care how you express your joy in the season. Be joyous for yourself and for all of us. Stop being petty and mean-spirited. Christianity isn't the only, the oldest or inherently most valid faith. Get your holiday spirit on. Love your neighbor. Behave like you believe all people are equal in the eyes of whatever deity you claim to worship. Or don't worship.
And have a wonderful season!


No comments:

Post a Comment